I realize this is a bit of “old news” but I’m just now getting around to reading the email below that was sent out by LPS last Friday (9/4/2020). Note especially the highlighted paragraph.
HOORAY FOR LINCOLN PUBLIC SCHOOLS, right?!?!? Well, let’s work through this together.
- Virtually every data point available indicates that school-aged children are highly unlikely to contract COVID-19. In the rare instances where they do contract it they are highly unlikely to experience symptoms or to pass it on to anyone else.
- Despite the evidence that COVID-19 is an extremely low risk for children, Lincoln Public Schools implemented a number of expensive and disruptive policies including mandatory mask wearing for children, contact tracing, rearranging classrooms, putting plexiglass dividers on lunch room tables, restricting movement during recess, and so on.
- Kids came back to school, for the most part, and sure enough… COVID-19 has not been actively spreading through the schools, as all available evidence indicated even before the school year started.
- Lincoln Public Schools takes a victory lap celebrating how they’ve limited the spread of CV thanks to their heroic and valorous interventions.
- Lincoln Public Schools declares that it is extremely important to keep these expensive, disruptive, and otherwise harmful interventions in place because they’re working so well!
Government does this again and again and again. Sometimes it’s a real problem that they make worse before “solving” it for us, which usually creates several additional problems. In this case, they took something that wasn’t even a problem, “solved” it, then told us they need to keep solving it or it will be a really big problem.
And the best part? They’ll continue taking money from me, by violence if necessary, to fund nonsensical policies like this. For my own good, I suppose.